Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Countess and Pandora's Box - Louise Brooks Dances

This is the Countess.



I was thinking about a comic strip I used to do when I was in my teens.  It was about an almost wilfully naive girl named Charlotte, who was always having misadventures with silent screen stars.
I managed to work in references to this film.
The Countess I drew looked a little bit like this.   You can see she's doing her best "come into the parlour, said the spider to the fly" look.
Here's how she looked in the film.
Bit of a risque scene, this one, what with the Countess making a blatant play for Lulu and then they dance the tango together - at Lulu's wedding.  Eyebrows were raised... although it took more than a hint of stocking to shock people in the 1920's (don't ever believe those stories about Victorian piano legs being covered for modesty's sake, either....)


No comments: